Monday, April 27, 2009

Meal Plan Monday

So last week's meal plan went fairly well. I really liked having a list of meals that I could look to and prepare without having to think too hard about that looming question of "What's for dinner?"!

Because some of our plans changed, our menu changed with it and we didn't eat a few items on the list (so you'll see them resurface this week). We ended up celebrating Mother's Day early for my mother-in-law because she's working on a project in Germany and won't be back until the end of May- so Sunday was out to eat (again... yum, but ugh on the pocketbook) and then dinner at my sister-in-law's. This week should be a little more stable and (hopefully) not so much eating out (or none at all!).

I was SUPER excited tonight though. I made my shopping trip to Reasor's because a lot on my list was on sale. While I was going to get milk, I spotted the half-gallons of Vitamin D milk on price reduction for $0.99!! I ended up with 8 half-gallons and am sad that I didn't get more! They were reduced because their expiration date was May 5th (which is NEXT Tuesday!)- my family goes through 2-3 gallons of milk A WEEK! Plus, I had already planned to have a baking day this week (a day to do a bunch of "bulk baking") and I could use up the milk in my recipes. So now my refrigerator is full of half-gallons and my husband thinks I'm crazy. :) (He thought that before now anyway)

I didn't end up getting around to baking the cinnamon rolls last week, so guess what's rising in the kitchen (at 10:30 at night)- you guessed: cinnamon roll dough! I made a double batch and plan to take some pans to my elderly neighbors across the street. I'll prep everything tonight and actually bake them tomorrow. I ended up using my Betty Crocker recipe instead of The Pioneer Woman's. I am planning on using one of her other recipes this week.I've also got some beans soaking in the crockpot so I can have them ready to cook tomorrow. I'll be using some in my chili this week and freezing the rest to use in other dishes throughout the next weeks (just think: taco salad, refried bean burritos, beans and rice...) Anyhow- back to the meals for THIS week--here's the rundown:

Breakfasts (all paired with fresh fruit)
Cereal
Cinnamon Rolls
Sweet Potato Pancakes (leftover from the big batch I made last week and threw in the freezer)
Oatmeal
Eggs, Bacon, Waffles (on Saturday)

Lunches
Ham Sandwiches, chips, fruit
Cheese quesadillas, fruit smoothie
PBJs, fruit, yogurt
Homemade Pizza, Salad
Leftovers x2

Dinners
BBQ meatballs, mashed potatoes, peas
Chili, corn, homemade bread
Roast, mashed potatoes, peas, homemade rolls (the mother-in-law is coming over for dinner- gotta impress)
Chicken Spaghetti, salad, green beans, homemade breadsticks (aka homemade rolls in breadstick shape)
Hamburgers, Hot dogs, oven fries, corn
Homemade Mac & Cheese, broccoli

So what's on your menu this week??
...More tomorrow about Target and Walgreen deals and cheap Baskin-Robbins ice cream this week!!

No comments: